June 5, 2020

Sovereign and Sacred


It feels so feeble to say that black lives matter.

I want to be able to say black lives are cherished and revered,

black lives are sovereign and sacred,

black lives are a blessing of beauty and power and grace, 

stardust, bedrock, 

blood of our mother.

I want to learn how to bend down low,

until I have learned all the ways 

my privilege betrays 

and brutalises the lores of life, 

the bodies of brethren, 

the soul of our origins, 

the memory of my first ancestors. 

Learn, so that together we may discover 

how to birth the new earth, 

from the old stories,

where we may truly walk 

side by side,

all skins, 

all colours,

sons and daughters 

of the earth.



Incredible image by Bobbi Lockyer

You can view her work here.

Words © Lucy Pierce 2020











No comments:

Post a Comment